Sunday, May 01, 2016

2016 book 79

Roshani Chokshi's The Star-Touched Queen
This was a really interesting mixture of Indian folklore and Western fairy tales, centering on a young woman, daughter of the Raja, who's fated to marry death and destruction, and so is kind of an outcast. She's hoping to be a scholarly spinster, but her plans are upended when her father announces a plan to marry her off, and then things go a little haywire. I really liked how magical elements functioned in the story, and I mostly liked the depiction of marriage, and if the protagonist is occasionally really stupid--well, she's stupid in the way that girls in fairy tales are often stupid, and I can't fault her for that. I found the wrap-up satisfying and found myself wishing there was more to the story. B+.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book is available now.

No comments: