Saturday, July 02, 2016

2016 book 117

Ann Patchett's Commonwealth
New Ann Patchett is ALWAYS a treat, and this one felt somehow unexpected. It's sort of domestic in sphere but feels far ranging, focusing on two complicated families--or rather, families that become complicated when one husband marries the other wife and their children become step-siblings, having effects ranging far into the future. Not that any plot is the point here--I felt like the point here was really the characters, and how they grow, and change--or don't change. Just really engrossing and interesting. I feel like I'm talking around things, but I'm not sure how to describe it, except to say that I liked it VERY much. A/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in September.

No comments: