Friday, July 08, 2016

2016 book 125

Michael Chabon's Moonglow
The conceit of this novel is that, just before he died, Chabon's grandfather, tongue loosened by medication, told him all sorts of stories about his life (particularly his service in WWII). The story is imbued with so many details from Chabon's actual life--or maybe they are just details that FEEL like they're part of his actual life--that it creates a really interesting tension between fiction and memoir. I found the character of the grandfather quite compelling, especially as he ages, but being me, was way more interested in the grandmother, and, particularly, the narrator's mother. And I loved how Jewish it was--of course this aspect especially reminded me so much of my own life and my family, though our stories are mooooostly less dramatic/novelistic. But there are references to so many places I have been, and the narrative voice strikes just the right tone, that I almost felt like I was in conversation with the narrator. Anyway, I liked this very much, even if I did wish for more ladies. A/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in November.

No comments: