Saturday, July 09, 2016

2016 book 126

Sarah Domet's The Guineveres
This is one of the fall releases I was most looking forward to reading--it's about four girls growing up in a convent home, all left there by their families, but brought together by the one thing they have in common--all four are named Guinevere. They long to escape their dull days and return to the world--but everything changes when several comatose soldiers are brought to the convent to recover from The War (WWII maybe? It's not made explicit). The story is narrated by one of the girls, looking back on her youth, and occasionally dispensing information about the girls' futures, interspersed with stories about various female saints, and I liked it very much until the ending, which I found relatively disappointing from both a character and a storytelling perspective. I think it is meant to be bittersweet, but I found it fairly depressing, and it also left me with a few unanswered questions--and just a general sense of dissatisfaction. B/B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in October.

No comments: