Sunday, July 03, 2016

2016 book 118

Mary Robinette Kowal's Ghost Talkers
Kowal's latest is a departure from the world of her Glamourist Histories, but still a compelling read. It focuses on a young woman during WWI, part of a special group of the British Army--they're mediums, and dead soldiers report to them to get up-to-the-minute intel. But soon it becomes clear that a traitor is in their midst, and is targeting said Spirit Corps. I think the concept here was great, and was definitely emotionally invested in the characters--I cried more than once--and I think Kowal does a good job with the hardships of war. The sort of mystery element--tracking down the spy--was not as effective for me, and I definitely wished the heroine was threatened with rape fewer (or no) times. It seems like this is the start to a series, and I'm intrigued enough by where things ended that I would probably read another one. B/B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in August.


No comments: