Friday, September 08, 2006

2006 book 104

Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Of course I had to break my usual no-short-stories rule for the latest Murakami collection--even though I'd already read about half of these in The New Yorker over the past couple of years (for a while there, new Murakami stories were my main incentive for subscribing, but I didn't renew it last summer and actually don't miss it much). There are plenty that follow the usual surreal/bizarre/intriguing Murakami formula, and a few that are sort of just sweet. My favorite was the one about kangaroos! I'm not sure I've ever seen Murakami do straight-up cute before.

In unrelated news, I call shenanigans on Nickelodeon. They're showing Ferris Bueller's Day Off and totally went overboard with the edits. I'm not talking about editing for content, but what I imagine was an edit for time--they removed the scene with Cameron communing with the Seurat painting, which I strongly believe is the emotional centerpoint of the film (with the swelling music and all). Lame! Shenanigans!

No comments: