Saturday, September 30, 2006

pop culture advice needed

When I moved to Florida, I decided I'd splurge and get HBO (primarily so I could watch Big Love, which was on its 4th or 5th episode at the time). For a while I was pretty happy with it--they played some shows I wanted to watch, and maybe a third of the movies were ones I liked. But lately HBO sucks! All the movies they're premiering are real stinkers (the ones I've seen were really stupid, and the ones I haven't were ones I really didn't want to see) and they're not even running any good shows at the moment. Plus they keep airing sports documentaries, making me think that Comcast took my HBO away and added an 8th sports channel or something. (I really do have that many sports channels.)

So I've been thinking I should cancel HBO, unless you all know if they're going to get good again any time soon? Should I try Showtime for a while? I did really like the first season of Weeds. Do any of you have it? Do you like it? Should I just keep HBO around till it hopefully gets good again?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Showtime and HBO are my entertainment budget. I made good use of them. Showtime had good stuff on last year. Huff, the L Word (snicker if you must, but on top of interesting characters, it's filmed in Vancouver so it was like little trips home).. Weeds continues to be good, and "Dexter" looks promising. Plus, Penn and Teller Bullsh!t is usually entertaining.

I say: Get Showtime!
(MIke)

Alicia K. said...

And forego HBO?

Speaking of Vancouver, did you catch that dis on Studio 60's pilot?

christinamerge said...

DVR!

Anonymous said...

I still like some of HBO's movies and will wait around for the Deadwood movie.... It wasn't much more to add a second premium channel to our subscription once we had one already... and yes I agree, DVR = very worthwhile!!