Saturday, September 09, 2006

mystery fruit


P9090035
Originally uploaded by wordnerdy.
And now we shall commence with the story of the mystery fruit.

Around the time my parents were visiting me last month, I'd seen two random fruits in my front yard. Since my house is on a corner by a stop sign, I somehow thought that the two small, lime-looking items had been tossed there by an idiotic neighbor.

However! This morning I noticed three more of the things in the middle of my yard. They're all sort of near each other, making it easy to infer that they fell from the same tree or bush. But there are no fruit-bearing trees or bushes in my yard from what I can tell.

Can anyone identify this fruit so I can further my investigations? They're larger and rounder than limes and all of them are yellow and green (but not all of them look like this--one is green on one side and yellow on the other). I don't want to touch them b/c there are lots of bugs around, so can't comment on how heavy they are or what the outside feels like.

Maybe some animal dragged them into my yard (I did see paw prints on the outside of my rear window when I was backing out of the driveway yesterday), but they don't look like anything's been at them.

Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Alicia K. said...

Update! They are possibly key limes. I still can't figure out if they're coming from one of my trees or bushes though.

pinky pinkerson said...

how odd! mystery fruit sighting! could they be falling from something over a fence? if they are key limes, you could have some baking fun with those.

Alicia K. said...

all of the ones i've seen have been close to the part of my yard that borders the street--though these three are also sort of close to my neighbor's yard. it's a mystery!