Tuesday, December 26, 2006

2006 book 142

Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects
This book is an excellent example of why I wait until the year actually ends before posting my list of favorite books of the year--this could very easily make the list and the year is almost over! Anyway, Flynn is also a writer for Entertainment Weekly, so I think I was expecting something light and pop-culture-laden (at least until I saw the cover, stark black with a razorblade). Instead, I was sucked into a story about a troubled woman who returns to her small hometown as a reporter, assigned to investigate the murders of two little girls. The whodunnit part of things isn't the main part--it's more about the protagonist's own psyche and she struggles to come to terms with her traumatic childhood--but it does a great job of really upping the intensity of the story. Seriously, I just read it in one sitting. A.

2 comments:

jenny said...

I just read this, too! I'm way behind on posting recent reads. I found this one pretty compelling but I thought it bordered on having a little too much going on sometimes. But it was very successfully creepy and spooky. And I think I had a nightmare about that dollhouse.

Alicia K. said...

I see what you mean about too much going on, but since I'm still thinking about the story, I guess it was to good effect. :)