Monday, December 18, 2006

partially read

Max Brooks' World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
I decided at page 150 to stop reading this book. It's not that I didn't like it, although the lack of a plot did occasionally bother me. It's composed of a series of (fictional, duh) interviews, each a few pages long, with various survivors of a zombie plague. I was a little tired of this format when I stopped--though it did do an excellent job of ramping up the tension--but actually decided that I did not want to read anymore about zombies. I scare easily, you know, and don't feel like being up all night clutching my field hockey stick just in case some zombies try to break in. (You can imagine my relief that, in this book, Israel is the only country to really save itself--and allows all the other Jews and the Palestinians into its borders before douing so.) But for those who enjoy zombies, definitely give this a try. The writing is excellent, despite my general preference for a meaty plot and characters. A quick glance does indicate that some of the many characters recur--do I smell an ensemble piece?? Speaking of movies, Brooks is the son of Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft, so there's that too.

No comments: