Monday, December 04, 2006

decca

I've been dying to read Jessica Mitford's book of letters, and this article has me on the verge of ordering it from Amazon! (I'm still hopeful that the public library will get it.)

I mean, check out this line she wrote to Hillary Clinton (back before she was the first lady): Do write back. I’d love more news of Chelsea Victoria—what a marvelous name! How did you come by it? Was she conceived in Victoria Station, or Chelsea?

Genius.

Sorry for the lack of book updates: I actually took a whole week off from reading (nothing seemed appealing) and instead spend time knitting and watching Battlestar Galactica. I am immersed in a good book now and am almost done with an afghan, so I'd say it's all worked out pretty well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow - that article does make "decca" sound very compelling!

boy, her family were a bunch of fascists. the nicknames alone were terrible :-)

Alicia K. said...

i know, i read some biography of the mitfords, and she and nancy really were the political oddballs!