Sunday, March 04, 2007

2007 book 27

Julia Alvarez's Saving the World
This novel starts off strong, focusing on a 50-year-old novelist who's struggling to write a sequel to one of her previous books, and is distracted by a story of an expedition to provide a smallpox vaccine to Central America in the early 1800s. The novel-within-a-novel mostly works, but the novelist's story descends into melodrama and pointless tragedy quite suddenly, and it just didn't work for me. I hesitate to give anything by Alvarez a mediocre grade, but this is my least favorite of her novels. B-.

4 comments:

pinky pinkerson said...

Was it you who read The End of Mr. Y? I just finished it, and I can't remember where it was I saw a review.

Alicia K. said...

You may have seen a review somewhere else too, but I definitely read it--it was one of my favorites of 2006!

Did you like it?

pinky pinkerson said...

I did like it - but I found the mix of sex and science a little disconcerting!

(and that the men in the book wanted our heroine so desperately, despite the fact that she didn't seem to take a shower for the majority of the book)

Alicia K. said...

i didn't notice the shower thing, and am slightly perturbed now.