Wednesday, March 21, 2007

2007 book 35

Dana Spiotta's Eat the Document
One of the other librarians at work loaned this to me, and I have to say, she has my taste pretty pegged, b/c I loved it! It's basically about a young couple who were involved in radical protests in the 1970s; when something goes wrong, they both go underground. Most of the story actually takes place over twenty years later, when the girl is the mother of a teenager. It's not clear at first which of several middle-aged dudes her former boyfriend is, which is one of many fascinating things about the novel. Anyway, several major characters emerge as their stories flash back in forth in time, as as their identities start to unravel. Maybe this description sounds cheesy--I was a little leery when I read the back cover--but, aside from some awkward dialogue, it's really well-written. And actually, once I got really into the story, I stopped noticing any possible flaws and just wanted to know what was going to happen--which is, of course, the mark of an excellent story. A.

No comments: