Tuesday, May 29, 2007

2007 book 75

Chris Bohjalian's The Double Bind
A fellow librarian gave this to me to read--I think she was desperate to discuss it with someone, as it has a sort of unexpected ending (I guessed part of the twist ending very early on, possibly b/c she mentioned the unexpected ending, partially b/c I read a lot). Anyway, this novel centers on a young social worker who helps homeless people find homes. When one of her elderly clients dies, a cache of photographs of, among other things, celebrities and of places near the social worker's childhood home, she begins to investigate his life, stumbling into obsession and The Great Gatsby (side note: it's amazing how much of those high school English class discussions actually stick with you!). I had some mixed feelings about this book (and find myself wanting to track my coworker down to talk about it, myself) so give it a B+.

No comments: