Wednesday, April 09, 2014

2014 book 78

Genevieve Valentine's The Girls at the Kingfisher Club
Man, you write a reworking of the Twelve Dancing Princesses fairy tale set in New York in the 1920s, and I am THERE. And this was VERY well-done, centering on the twelve daughters of a wealthy man who doesn't really interact with them at all, and doesn't let them out of the house (so they sneak out to dance at speakeasies!), and is now about to start marrying them off. The girls are believable, and all have distinct personalities, and best of all, they don't rely on a prince (or any dude) to rescue them! (OK, a few dudes help, but mainly they rescue themselves.) I loved the relationships between the girls, and loved how they all progressed. In fact, I loved everything about this book. I'm sure if I wanted to get nitpicky, I could find some things to criticize, but I don't see why I should, especially when I'm still full of delight about it. Because it was delightful. A.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in June.

No comments: