Tuesday, April 01, 2014

2014 book 71

Lauren Owen's The Quick
This book starts off with a dusty, old-fashioned, Gothic literature sort of atmosphere to it, as young James and Charlotte are mostly left to their own devices on their isolated estate. And then James grows up, and goes to Oxford, and is struggling to be a poet while living with a dissolute aristocratic type.  And things start to feel really moving and hopeful and romantic . . . and THEN! Things go in a totally unexpected and amazing direction! Like, so many exclamation points were in my mind! And it's all told in diaries and letters and from all different perspectives. And James stops writing letters, and older sister Charlotte comes to London to try and find him. I don't want to give away anything else, b/c the surprise twist was really great to me, so I'll just say this was GREAT, full of great characters (including lots of amazing girls/women). I have no complaints at all, and I recommend it wholeheartedly. A.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on April 3rd.

No comments: