Wednesday, May 14, 2014

2014 book 104

Miranda Beverly-Whittemore's Bittersweet
I feel like there are a LOT of books where a scholarship student at an elite school (boarding or university) is roommates with some scion of the wealthy, inevitably handsome and talented and troubled, and inevitably accompanies him home to discover his inevitable family secrets. Honestly, I hate books like that. But this one has GIRLS in those roles, so seemed a little bit more interesting. Of course, they have the unlikely names of Genevra and Mabel (I'm sure you can guess which is which) (Mabel, besides being poor and shy, is also overweight), which was less promising. I'm not sure what to say about this one--it was a quick and enjoyable read, but I recognize how ridiculous it is. And it was VERY ridiculous. But fun! But . . . ridiculous. I'm sure it'll be popular with book groups that drink a lot of wine at their discussions. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book is available now.

No comments: