Monday, May 19, 2014

2014 book 108

Catherynne Valente's The Girl Who Soared Over Fairyland and Cut the Moon in Two
I think I'm realizing that one of the reasons I like these books, but don't love them, is the general lack of character development. Or that nothing really gets going until about halfway through each one. Instead, September meets new characters every time, who are mostly just bundles of quirks giving monologues, and then finally has her one adventure with her friends and goes home (or not). To be fair, this is the same sort of set-up as Alice in Wonderland or the Oz books, but I guess I'd like something more in-depth. I've spent all of these books rolling my eyes for the first half, and then enjoying the second. It's jarring! Valente can really stick an ending, for sure, which is enough to keep me reading, but I'm getting a little resentful about it! :) B.

No comments: