Friday, May 09, 2014

2014 book 100

Emily Arsenault's What Strange Creatures
Arsenault's latest (after Miss Me When I'm Gone, In Search of the Rose Notes, and the GREAT The Broken Teaglass) is another solid literary mystery, this one involving a woman struggling to write her dissertation (on Margery Kempe, very relevant to my interests) whose brother is arrested for murdering his girlfriend, and so she starts sort of investigating on her own.  The red herrings could be redder or herring-er, but Arsenault doles out clues at a good pace and the ending is properly exciting and suspenseful. I really liked the way this wrapped up. I also like that this is half a mystery, and half a story about a sad grad student with a lot of pets and a complicated life. There's also a nice sense of humor about everything. I really enjoy Arsenault's work, and this one was no exception. A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in July.

No comments: