Sunday, May 25, 2014

2014 book 114

Joanne Rocklin's Fleabrain Loves Franny
I fully admit that half the reason I liked this book so much was that it was set in the neighborhood where I grew up in Pittsburgh (both my high school and my STREET were mentioned several times!). It's 1952, and Franny (from a typical Squirrel Hill Jewish family) is recovering from polio. Her favorite book is Charlotte's Web, which is why she doesn't really blink an eye when a flea living on her dog starts leaving her notes, wanting to befriend her. Fleabrain is a know-it-all, occasionally unlikable, but with good intentions. And Franny is always sympathetic and likable, desperate for a cure so she can go back to her regular life with her friends. Rocklin one hundred percent nails the atmosphere and definitely made me cry more than a little at the end. Just a really sweet story, showing the severity of polio. Vaccinate your kids! A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in August.

No comments: