Thursday, December 25, 2014

2014 book 314

Norma Klein's Domestic Arrangements
I'm still making my way through my Lizzie Skurnick books, and this one was a major change of pace from the All-of-a-Kind Family! I mean, basically the first thing that happens is that the dad walks in on his 14-year-old daughter having sex with her boyfriend in the middle of the night. The entire time I was reading this, I was just like, "is this what 1970s New York was really like??/???/??" My god! Anyway, it's about a precocious 14 year old girl who's just starred in her first movie--with a topless scene--and now fame is starting to intrude on her life and family (not to mention her jealous, horny boyfriend, who I absolutely hated). Plus everyone is having affairs and gross film producers are trying to enlist her for a musical version of Lolita (their interpretation of the novel is pretty disgusting). THE SEVENTIES! I don't even know what to think about this book. I wish the older sister had been more fleshed out, and I thought it ended really abruptly, but the girl's narrative voice is pretty engaging. I wish FYA would assign books like this to the book clubs, because this would be a fun one to scream about over lunch. B/B+.

No comments: