Friday, April 03, 2015

2015 book 80

Naomi Novik's His Majesty's Dragon
Yes, I am finally reading the Temeraire books, and this one is as delightful as I've always heard. The short version of this series is "the Napoleonic wars--WITH DRAGONS" but that doesn't get at how LOVABLE the dragons are. You guys, I cried when a fictional dragon died. Anyway, in this first one, a Naval captain captures a French ship with an egg on board and the little baby dragon totally likes him, which means he has to be its rider and leave the Navy to use the dragon FOR ENGLAND. And there are lady dragon riders too, so all my fears were assuaged. This is just like all the historical romances I've read lately, except it's about a guy and his dragon instead of, you know, a heteronormative couple (not that he's doing anything weird with the dragon, they are just super bonded bros, like if you had an amazing pet that could talk to you about math or whatever, obviously you would love it EVEN MORE). This is great, I'm gonna read all of them. A.

No comments: