Friday, April 08, 2016

2016 book 64

Rick Riordan's Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer
Hooray: the library was finally able to get this as an e-book! Boo: I think I am definitely over Rick Riordan. I mean, look, this book is FINE. It's cute that the main character is the cousin of Annabeth from the Percy books. But the whole thing feels like a MAJOR Percy Jackson retread. Great, there's a Muslim girl in it, and she has some good action scenes. A dwarf who's into fashion and an elf who wants to learn magic, fun! But no one has any real character development. I was never invested in any of them.  I also for once wish things would hinge on the child of a goddess, not a god, but I guess beggars can't be choosers after a couple thousand years of patriarchal societies. Anyway, I'm not going to be reading any more of this series--I am beyond uninterested in the same story beats or in Loki's shenanigans. B.

No comments: