Sunday, April 24, 2016

2016 book 75

David Levithan and Nina LaCour's You Know Me Well
I wasn't sure how this book was going to go for me--I LOVE Nina LaCour, but am not really into David Levithan. But maybe he's better when he's working with someone else, a la Will Grayson, Will Grayson? This actually has a Will Grayson-esque vibe: it centers on two queer teens--a sixteen year old boy, in love with his best friend/sort of boyfriend, and the girl from his calc class he encounters at a Pride event in San Francisco, who's afraid to meet the girl she's in love with, and also consumed with a lot of anxiety, and they become really nice, supportive friends during Pride Week. I liked/related to her sections more--his veer into the cheesy/dramatic and have some unrealistic dialogue--but both are pretty compelling, and I pretty much downed this in one sitting. I also just like that books like this exist. More cute little books for queer teens! B+/A-.


__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in June.

No comments: