Saturday, April 23, 2016

2016 book 73

Lydia Millet's Sweet Lamb of Heaven
Millet's latest (after the stellar Mermaids in Paradise) is another slightly off-kilter but enjoyable story. This one feels much more like a thriller--it centers on a woman and her daughter who are on the run from her sociopathic husband, who has no interest in them--but now that he's launching a political career, needs them back in his life.  There is also a sort of mystical overlay, which I found really interesting. The tension ramps up nicely, but I found the end kind of anti-climactic after all the build-up. I did like the sense of paranoia that imbues everything, I think I just wanted the end to feel a little bit bigger. Still a great book and obviously great writing. B+.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released on May 3rd.

No comments: