Sunday, April 10, 2016

2016 book 65

Rufi Thorpe's Dear Fang, With Love
Thorpe's second novel, after The Girls of Corona Del Mar, felt like a bit step up to me--and I liked her first one! This one centers on a semi-estranged father and daughter--he was a teen when she was born and not really part of her life until she was twelve, and she's recently been diagnosed as bipolar, so of course taking her on a tour of Vilnius (to visit his grandmother's roots) is a GREAT idea. I found both characters really compelling and believable, and Thorpe has a deft touch with foreshadowing that had me going "oh s--t" a couple of times. I also appreciated the look at family stories and the things we tell ourselves, and particularly enjoyed all the Jewish characters and the way they were exploring their own stories. But of course, it's primarily a story and family and love. Great stuff. A/A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in May.

No comments: