Sunday, April 15, 2007

2007 book 50

Lisa Lutz's The Spellman Files
This was a highly entertaining and funny look at a family of PIs; unconventional protagonist Izzy has to deal with her parents and unruly baby sister invading her privacy and the general disapproval of her straight-laced older brother. When she gets involved with a cold case and starts dating a dentist, things get even more chaotic. Although there was one minor plot point I was surprised to pick up before the PI girl, generally I really liked this story and its characters. A.

Now I'm off to finally see The Namesake! Speaking of movies, I recently watched Brick on the recommendation of Jordon, who has a man-crush on Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I did like it, but found the dialogue to be reeeeally over-the-top. Was it supposed to be a parody of noir films? If so, it was very successful.

2 comments:

js said...

yeah, i lucked out; for some reason, the slang in "brick" didn't irk me so much. my favorite parts of the movie are JGL's characterization--nerdy but can still take a punch--and that scene where he meets with lucas haas's character and his mom serves them orange juice. sort of reminded me of "rugrats" in that regard.

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, I felt the same way about Brick; the clunky dialogue was my only serious complaint. I felt like it had tons of potential and it would be really interesting if more (quality) films went in that neo-noir direction. :)