Wednesday, April 25, 2007

2007 book 55

Lionel Shriver's The Post-Birthday World
From the moment I picked up this book--its cover featured an empty cupcake wrapper with a few crumbs beside it--I knew I'd like it, and I DID! I've never read anything else by Shriver, but I may have to seek some of her earlier works now. Anyway, this is the story of a married woman who is tempted to kiss an old friend. Will she or won't she?? Actually, it's both--both scenarios are played out in alternating chapters (the same narrative structure as the move Sliding Doors). The parallels between the alternate lives are really fascinating, and as a result the reader picks up on things more quickly than the protagonist. She, and the two men in her life, are really interesting characters and I wholeheartedly enjoyed both versions of the story. I give this a resounding A.

No comments: