Saturday, February 09, 2008

2008 book 19

I'm on my couch on my new computer--yay wireless and yay working laptop!

Sara Young's My Enemy's Cradle
OK, this one requires some serious suspension of disbelief, and that's not even for the major plot points, which are as follows: a half-Jewish girl living in Holland at the start of WWII with her non-Jewish relatives ends up taking her cousin's place at a Lebensborn (one of those Nazi homes for unwed mothers impregnated by German soldiers, though the protagonist's baby's father is Jewish). Actually it's a totally riveting novel if you're willing to get into it and not be all nitpicky (I am the nitpicky type, but I was engaged anyway). The author clearly did some research on the Lebensborn movement and the offhand descriptions of the home are pretty fascinating. B+.

No comments: