Friday, February 22, 2008

2008 book 24

Jacqueline Winspear's Maisie Dobbs
Elizabeth recommended this to me--it's the first book in a series about a young woman detective in the late 1920s. In this volume, the mystery takes a back seat to her backstory, as we learn about her humble roots, her generous benefactor, and her stint as a nurse in France during WWI. On the whole it was enjoyable (though not as good as the Laurie King Mary Russell books), aside from a really silly interlude where Maisie explains how she solved the mystery. Also, she says "golly!" more than once. Heh. B.

Meanwhile, I am super annoyed b/c my macbook suddenly isn't working with my wireless! And my other computer barely works at all, which makes book blogging a very frustrating endeavor. Good thing I started knitting two new scarves today! (While watching the Colin Firth Pride and Prejudice movie, no less.)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

So I read # 3 and # 4 (didn't pay enough attention at the library), and I think the other two were a little better. I There was more mystery.

Alicia K. said...

Yeah, I do like the character, I just want to see more evidence of her great analytical mind! :)

Elizabeth said...

the weird thing is that it sort of makes it seems like she's psychic, not that she's that great of a detective, which is kind of strange.