Wednesday, February 06, 2008

apollo's song

Apollo's Song came in my latest package of comic books, and I started reading it last night. I have to say, it's really disturbing so far. In several early scenes, the adorably-drawn protagonist tortures and kills cute animals because they're in love. Then he drifts into a dream sequence where he's a Nazi, and some other Nazis are raping a Jewish girl. That's where I stopped reading. Brutality toward animals AND rape? I cannot handle reading about either of these things, especially when they're illustrated so cutely (Tezuka created Astro Boy, and that's how all these characters look). Has anyone read it? Is it worth sticking with?

In happier comics news, Yakitate Japan brought a smile to my face. It's about a small-town boy on a quest to create the perfect bread! Um, awesome. I also received (among other things) the final issue of Y the Last Man and am prepared to discuss it!

For more good titles, check out Chapel Hill Comics' best of 2007 lists. Erin is represented by an adorable kitten!

2 comments:

Sociologian said...

I don't think that Apollo's Song link is right ?

Alicia K. said...

hahaha!! clearly that was the last thing i had copied and pasted. fixing the link now.