Sunday, February 24, 2008

2008 book 25

Tony D'Souza's The Konkans
My cat just stepped on the keyboard and deleted everything I'd written, so here's the short story: American woman doing a Peace Corps stint in India marries a Konkan man (Konkans are Catholic Indians) and they move to America and start a family. Some details are autobiographical and are the richer for it. A few too many historical interludes about Konkans but an engaging story overall. A-.

I also saw Persepolis this weekend, which was awesome! They really did a good job translating the graphic novel to screen and the visuals were amazing.

2 comments:

js said...

yeah, it seemed to be faithful--although i did not read the book. how faithful in terms of the story was it?

Alicia K. said...

From what I recall, it was very faithful--I actually think they included things in the movie that weren't in the books.