Monday, February 18, 2008

2008 book 22

Jeannettee Walls' The Glass Castle
People have been urging me to read this memoir for years, but since two people recommended it to me last week, I decided it was time to give it a go. It's the story of four children and their absolutely insane parents--alcoholic father, mother with some other issues. I HATED it. On every page, I hoped social services would come to give these children a real home. Their lives are astonishingly heartbreaking and awful, and I don't care that 3/4 of them turned out ok, no children should have to grow up like that. It's like when I read Running with Scissors and was aghast that people lived like that. Guess what, this is worse!! Children should always have food and a roof over their heads! I guess Walls is a good writer--she tells her family history with wry humor--but that doesn't make the facts more palatable. Also, I wondered what her siblings thought about her version of events. I'd be mad if one of my sibs wrote a book and mentioned multiple times that s/he was the favorite child. None of her sibs are fully realized people here, though her parents are (horrifyingly so). Seriously, this is why I rarely read non-fiction. It really depressed me.

4 comments:

Xtine said...

OMG. This book drove me crazy, too. I ended up reading it all in one sitting just to get it over with. Those parents are such horrible people!

Alicia K. said...

THANK YOU!! I felt so alone! Seriously, I'm afraid to tell my coworker that I read it b/c she LOVED it. I just don't get why. My grandmother recommended this to me, for goodness' sake! Ugh. Seriously, it is not that hard to get a job and provide food for your family.

pinky pinkerson said...

I thought her parents made Augusten Burroughs' look like amateurs. They were seriously the worst parents ever.

(I didn't *not* like the book - but I probably also read it in one sitting just to get it over with!)

Alicia K. said...

I also read it in one sitting just to get it over with . . . seriously, why do people love this book?