Monday, October 28, 2013

2013 book 279

Francine Prose's Bigfoot Dreams
Prose's 1986 novel, available as an e-book for the first time, deals with a single mother who writes for a Weekly World News type of publication (who else remembers those?), and what happens when a story she writes turns out to be true. I liked this whenever I was reading it, but never felt compelled to sit down and finish it, which is why it took so long (that, and I just got a Nintendo 3DS). Vera is a well-drawn character, and I liked her relationship with her parents a lot. The story itself is not particularly engaging, and I was less than interested in everything with her slacker ex-husband. I kind of wish the whole thing had been about crypto-biologists instead of the protagonist having a midlife crisis. B.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book is available now.

No comments: