Friday, January 10, 2014

2014 book 11

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander
When I mentioned my love of time-travel books a couple months ago, someone (I think it was Elizabeth) suggested I check this one out. Plus, it's about to be a tv show! I think I was expecting it to be silly and/or cheesy, but it's actually surprisingly GREAT. It's about a woman who served as an army nurse in WWII, and now that the war is over, she and her husband have reunited and gone on a trip to Scotland, to get to know each other again, and so he can research his genealogy. Then she goes to sightsee at a mini-Stonehenge-thing and gets SUCKED BACK IN TIME to 1743! Good thing she knows all about that period of history from her history-nerd husband! Aaaand there's totally a hot Scottish guy! (All I knew about this plot going in was that she falls for some guy in the past, and I was worried for a minute that it'd turn out to be her husband's ancestor--scandalous!!--but he turns out to be a real dillhole.) Now, this book is not perfect. There's too much of the rough sex/stuff = romanticized manliness (it /was/written in 1991) (but like, at one point he straight up BEATS her, which is somehow good here?). Various dudes try to rape the protagonist like four or five different times (I LOST COUNT, that's how many times dudes try to rape her!). When someone is eventually raped, though, the psychological effects are handled pretty well. But really, this book was good! The writing is a lot better than it needs to be. In fact, I am about to BUY the second one because the library e-book has too many holds and I can't wait to see what happens next. A-.

No comments: