Saturday, January 25, 2014

2014 book 23

Diana Gabaldon's The Fiery Cross
The fifth Outlander book was made for North Carolina history nerds--there's a huge chunk involving the Regulators (the namesake of my local bookstore), though frankly Gabaldon makes the actual history party pretty uneventful and boring. There's also a scene, hilarious to modern NC residents like myself, wherein characters debate the merits of vinegar- vs tomato-based barbeque. It sounds just like every conversation I have ever heard about barbeque in modern times! Otherwise, it's same-ol', same-ol' here--it seems like nothing has major consequences, and that includes a hanging and a snakebite. Plus several attempted murders. But it feels like I read a thousand page book where nothing really happened. And yet I still like this series! The racism is also less awful this time around, though that's probably because there's little interaction with minorities in this one. I dunno. B/B+?

No comments: