Tuesday, January 14, 2014

2014 book 13

Natalie Whipple's House of Ivy and Sorrow
This was a pretty solid YA fantasy about a teenage girl in Iowa who's secretly a witch, living with her witch grandmother, when the Curse that killed her mother seems to be looking for her as well--along with some mysterious, and possibly evil, men. There's some really interesting world-building here, and I really liked the protagonist's relationships with her best friends and her new boyfriend (there are some love triangle elements that I found tiresome, ie a boyfriend jealous of some other guy, but I liked that she was committed to her boyfriend). Things are a little draggy in the middle, but I liked the end a lot--the way things wrapped up made me interested in reading a sequel, if one is coming. B+.
__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in April.

No comments: