Friday, January 03, 2014

2014 book 4

Charles Finch's A Stranger in Mayfair
The fourth Charles Lenox mystery (and I really wish Finch had given his protagonist a different first name, because I am perpetually getting the two confused) has Lenox getting tangled up in a case involving another acquaintance's murdered servant, as well as dealing with being a newly elected member of Parliament. It is a little annoying that it takes him 35 chapters (literally, that is not an exaggeration) to figure out something that's obvious from the first chapter to anyone who's ever read a mystery before, and the killer's identity is pretty obvious too. On the other hand, Lenox is married now, and everything with that is GREAT. I always enjoy seeing actual healthy marriages in my books.The mystery itself is pretty blah though, and I'm not really sure what the point of the Parliament stuff is, no matter how interesting it might be to a history nerd such as myself. B.

No comments: