Thursday, January 01, 2015

2015 book 1

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me
Picking a book to start the year with is a lot of pressure, but this one was on my mind because I just found out Stead has a new book coming out this summer. And, anyway, this is one of my very very very favorite books, so it feels like a great start to the year. This book has everything: friend issues, race/class issues, A Wrinkle in Time, game shows, time travel, sandwiches, great parental figures, and more. I still sob great wracking sobs every time I read it, in spite of knowing what's coming--or maybe because of it. Is there a more heartbreaking book than this? And yet, it's still so hopeful. My friend Keri tags her favorite books on Goodreads with "best beloved" and that is how I feel about When You Reach Me.

No comments: