Tuesday, January 13, 2015

2015 book 11

Katie Coyle's Vivian Apple at the End of the World
I admit to reading this with a growing sense of joy as I realized it was set in PITTSBURGH, my hometown. But it's even better than that: it's about a typical irreverent teenage girl whose newly devout parents are (apparently) Raptured up in a big ol' Rapture type thing. Vivian eventually decides to find out the truth by going on a road trip with her best friend and a cute mysterious boy (there's always one of those around). But things are pretty . . . post-apocalyptic. I mostly liked this a lot, though was not super interested in the romance when so many other things are going on! Is it really hard for publishers to market books about teenage girls that DON'T have a romance, or something? Coyle doesn't seem super invested in it, either, b/c everything else going on is so much bigger! Don't get me wrong, it's all mildly silly. But I'd read the sequel. B/B+.

No comments: