Sunday, January 25, 2015

2015 book 25

Rachel Hartman's Shadow Scale
YAYYYYY the sequel to Seraphina (and the conclusion to her story--this is the rare non-trilogy in YA fantasy) is here!! And it totally lives up to its predecessor! I want to avoid spoilers, so will just say that, as hinted in the first one, we start to meet other half-dragons--and find out more about the mysterious Jannoula. The romance stuff is once again on the back-burner because of various war and political issues, much to my relief, but I one hundred percent LOVED the way it turned out. Absolutely amazing. And the story here is pretty great--lots of history/information about the world is revealed, the writing is stellar, there's plenty of diversity of all kinds, several of my favorite characters from the Amy Unbounded graphic novel play a big part, and I cannot wait to read it again. I had some mixed feelings about the villain, but I think Hartman handles things well. Although this little series is wrapped up, it seems that Hartman is writing another book set in this world, and you can bet I'll be eagerly awaiting it. A/A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in March.

No comments: