Saturday, January 03, 2015

2015 book 3

E.K. Johnston's Prairie Fire
In the sequel to the VERY awesome Story of Owen, Owen and his bard join the military-like Oil Watch to get official training as dragon slayers, along with a bunch of new characters as compatriots. I really liked watching them learn and grow and make friends in this environment, especially considering the injuries bard Siobhan suffered in the previous book. And Johnston goes some places I REALLY didn't expect. I didn't love this one /quite/ as much as the first one, but it's a really solid follow-up. This book feels somewhat final, but I would love to see more stories set in this world--Siobhan's narrative voice is so engaging, and I feel like there's so much more to explore with the Oil Watch and her Youtube fame and whatnot. Just so much good stuff. A-.

__
A review copy was provided by the publisher. This book will be released in March.

No comments: