Wednesday, January 17, 2007

2006 book 7

John Green's An Abundance of Katherines
Intially, I was reluctant to read this YA novel b/c it kept getting compared to King Dork, which I disliked. However, my friend Betsy, a fellow fan of YA books and hater of King Dork gave it her approval, so I immediately got it from the library. And it was really good! It's about Colin, a prodigy-type who just graduated high school and also just got dumped by his 19th girlfriend named Katherine. I realize that sentence sounds like it has a dangling modifier, but all of his girlfriends have been named Katherine. Anyway, he and his best (and only) friend head on a road trip and end up in a small town in Tennessee, where Colin attempts to create a theorem explaining his bad luck in love (there is actual math explained in an actual appendix, which I did not read), and where he and his friend meet all sorts of really great characters, learn about life, etc. But not in an annoying way, in a really interesting and sweet way. A.

No comments: