Monday, January 22, 2007

taffy

Speaking of nostalgia, does anyone else remember those Taffy Sinclair books?? Talk about 80s classics. Remember the one where snobby bitch Taffy decides to give one of the non-popular girls a makeover and teaches her to vomit up her cafeteria lunch (until a dramatic intervention by the girl's True Friends)? Proof that ten year old girls are evil.

There's some wholesome reading for impressionable pre-adolescents! I don't remember these being darker than the Babysitters' Club, Sweet Valley Twins, etc, but then again, authors were pretty heavy-handed with their morals back then. I am pretty sure someone died of a drug overdose in one of the first four Sweet Valley High books (which I shouldn't have been reading in elementary school, but they were way more interesting than their juvenile counterparts).

Oooh--here's some weird synchronicity. On checking out the Taffy Sinclair author's website, I see that she also wrote that 80s classic The Great Mom Swap. That book was actually made into a TV movie starring a girl I went to elementary school with. This post totally just went full circle.

2 comments:

christinamerge said...

I swear that that particular Sweet Valley High book is the main reason why I have always been terrified of drugs! I just remember thinking that it sounded exactly like something that would happen to me - you fall in love with the bad boy, and a few minutes later snorting cocaine seems like a great idea only to die immediately from some heretofore invisible genetic heart disorder! Poor Regina!

Alicia K. said...

i am right there with you! althoguh it sounds even funnier the way you describe it.