Wednesday, January 24, 2007

2007 books 8 and 9

Jhumpa Lahiri's The Namesake
I reread this one for the library book group! It's still pretty good.

Gary B. Nash's The Unknown American Revolution
Clearly this was reading for class! Nash basically presents the untold stories of the American Revolution, focusing on the parts played by African-Americans, Native Americans, and women. The first half, discussing events leading up to 1776, is really fascinating, but my eyes glazed over somewhat once he got into the actual war parts. On the plus side, I had way more Pennsylvania pride after reading this, AND got to read all about the North Carolina Regulators (who inspired the name of my all-time favorite bookstore).

2 comments:

js said...

i'd like to jhumpa lahiri! ZZZING!

(sorry, that joke is required to cross my lips everytime she writes something new.)

Alicia K. said...

she is very pretty.

i stopped subscribing to the new yorker--has she written anything new lately?