Monday, January 08, 2007

weekend updates

OK, I know it's been 2007 for a whole week, so really you all must be expecting some book reviews by now. I'm currently halfway through two different books, both of which are just OK, which is making it hard to care enough to finish either.

I saw "Children of Men" this weekend, and it was profoundly depressing. The trailers and reviews sort of point toward its grimness, but it's a lot more violent and terrifying than any of those had led me to believe. Just a warning in case any of you see it!

In other news, I think I accidentally exposed the roll currently in my Holga (the back of the camera fell off), which totally sucks as it had what I hoped were some cool pictures on it.

Also, my dad has turned my bedroom into a brewery!

5 comments:

js said...

i think stephanie zacharek's review of "children of men" in salon talked about how excessively downbeat the film was. didn't read the whole thing, though.

i want to see this movie for two reasons:

1)it apparently has awesome cinematography (please confirm)

2)if i hate it and it wins awards, i can ridicule the academy knowledgably (see, "crash")

Alicia K. said...

i don't think you'll hate it--it was really powerful, etc.

i have to say i didn't pay too much attention to the cinematography, as i was busy being traumatized for most of it. what i did notice was stellar, though.

i didn't read any in-depth reviews before seeing it--i skimmed EW's and definitely didn't get the total downer vibe. i'll check the salon one now.

jenny said...

i loved it! i was really impressed by the brief infusions of humor. they really helped tone down some of the bleakness for me.

also, i can confirm the awesome cinematography, especially in one particular 8-minute handheld action sequence.

Alicia K. said...

hey, i never said i didn't like it. it takes a powerful movie to traumatize me that deeply.

i mean, michael caine made that whole movie worthwhile for me, just on his own--and everyone else was pretty great in it, too.

pinky pinkerson said...

we saw it! mr. p. thought it was one of the most supreme bummers ever. I liked it a lot more than he did. And ironically, we saw a just-about-to-pop pregnant friend, while leaving the theater. I wonder if watching that movie made her feel even more pleased about her impending kid :-)