Monday, July 16, 2007

2007 book 103

Stef Penney's The Tenderness of Wolves
This was a really riveting novel set in the wild north of Canada in 1867; a woman's son disappears after their neighbor is murdered, and she sets off to track him down, with the help of a mysterious man. Various other characters are drawn into the case, including the relatives of two young girls who disappeared seventeen years earlier, various Hudson Bay Company employees, and a woman living in a religious community. While reading, I was at first annoyed that the son's secret was glaringly obvious and wished Penney would just officially reveal it already, but as the story really got rolling all complaints fell by the wayside. I almost want to reread it, just to try and figure out the narrator's first name! If anyone knows, will you tell me? A.

2 comments:

Sociologian said...

I think I will have to add this one to my "to eventually read" pile.

Alicia K. said...

And that's why I made sure to mention Canada!