Wednesday, July 25, 2007

2007 book 108

I recently received some suggestions that I should add additional tags to my book reviews for specific genres like YA or mysteries, so I'm going to start doing that from now on. No promises on tagging old entries--it's a little bit of a hassle so it'll have to wait for some day when I'm really bored. :)

Margo Rabb's Cures for Heartbreak
This semi-autobiographical novel (Rabb's first after her Missing Persons series) focuses on a teenage girl whose mother suddenly dies of cancer. As she and her family struggle to cope with their loss, along with her father's failing health, she deals with the typical teenage dramas involving friends and boys. I really enjoyed this, and actually wish there had been more of it; it could easily have been a grown-up coming-of-age novel instead of a YA one. Still, it was a nicely bittersweet read. A-.

2 comments:

Sociologian said...

I appreciate that you (and the media, OMG) have kept the Potter spoilers to a total minimum... my copy of the book is still en route from Canada! Would a letter grade of the book be too spoiler-y? I could handle a letter grade!

Alicia K. said...

I just added one--A+!!