Tuesday, July 10, 2007

harry potter and the media

This issue is something my mom and I were discussing on the phone last night--specifically, what Harry's fate will be (if I'm right and he lives, I get cookies from a certain coworker and friend! If I'm wrong, I owe her cupcakes).

My mom is insisting that I immediately tell her what happens to Harry, so she won't find out about it while watching the news or signing on to AOL or whatever. Of course, as I pointed out, my mom STILL doesn't know What Snape Did in book 6 (she's just reading book 5 now), so perhaps her usual media outlets won't give this away either . . . or maybe I'm putting too much faith in the media? I know everyone is looking at the Sopranos finale as the model here--I, who didn't watch the show, didn't need to read the recaplet on TWoP to find out what happened the following morning, b/c it was EVERYWHERE. (I wasn't avoiding it, though, since I don't watch the show.)

So I do wonder how long it will take for the media to reveal the ending of HP and the Deathly Hallows. I hope that for the sake of the younger and/or slower readers out there, they manage to contain it for a few days, at least.

I'm not worried--I'll be reading the entire thing Friday night, just like last time.

No comments: