Monday, July 30, 2007

2007 book 114

Ruth Rendell's The Water's Lovely
When I finished this book, I actually slammed it down and exclaimed, "This book was crap!!" Because it was. It focuses on a young woman who's convinced that her younger sister killed their stepfather when they were girls. As she frets over this, a cast of other characters all come into the story, leading to a bunch of totally unbelievable coincidences and interactions. The mystery's resolution is totally predictable, and the end of the book sucks hard. D.

2 comments:

pinky pinkerson said...

I used to LOVE Ruth Rendell, and the books she wrote under another name. Except that her view of humanity is so dim - even the "good guys" in her books don't get treated with much dignity. I've read too many of them....when I saw that a new one was out I knew I was never going to read it.

Alicia K. said...

Actually, the one and only good guy in this book is really likable--he and the younger sister are the only characters I didn't want to bitchslap at least once.